product description page
Technology and Emergency Management (Paperback) (John C. Pine)
about this item
The first book devoted to a critically important aspect of disaster planning, management, and mitigation
Technology and Emergency Management, Second Edition describes best practices for technology use in emergency planning, response, recovery, and mitigation. It also describes the key elements that must be in place for technology to enhance the emergency management process. The tools, resources, and strategies discussed have been applied by organizations worldwide tasked with planning for and managing every variety of natural and man-made hazard and disaster. Illustrative case studies based on their experiences appear throughout the book.
This new addition of the critically acclaimed guide has been fully updated and expanded to reflect significant developments occurring in the field over the past decade. It features in-depth coverage of major advances in GIS technologies, including the development of mapping tools and high-resolution remote sensing imaging. Also covered is the increase in computer processing power and mobility and enhanced analytical capabilities for assessing the present conditions of natural systems and extrapolating from them to create accurate models of potential crisis conditions. This second edition also features a new section on cybersecurity and a new chapter on social media and disaster preparedness, response, and recovery has been added.
- Explores the role of technology in emergency planning, response, recovery, and mitigation efforts
- Explores applications of the Internet, telecommunications, and networks to emergency management, as well as geospatial technologies and their applications
- Reviews the elements of hazard models and the relative strengths and weaknesses of modeling programs
- Describes techniques for developing hazard prediction models using direct and remote sensing data
- Includes test questions for each chapter, and a solutions manual and PowerPoint slides are available on a companion website
Technology and Emergency Management, Second Edition is a valuable working resource for practicing emergency managers and an excellent supplementary text for undergraduate and graduate students in emergency management and disaster management programs, urban and regional planning, and related fields.