product description page
Terrorism and Homeland Security : An Introduction With Applications - 2 (Paperback)
About this item
Terrorism and Homeland Security: An Introduction with Applications, Second Edition provides a comprehensive overview of terrorism, public and private sector counterterrorism and all hazards emergency management. The book presents national, state and local perspectives, and up-to-date information including the reorganization of the Department of Homeland Security, the renewed Patriot Act and intelligence reform.
A wide range of issues are discussed, including such topics as the effectiveness of terrorism, weapons of mass destruction, the measurement of terrorism, victims of terrorism, privatization of counterterrorism, the code war, the merging of life safety and public safety, recent disasters, the role of the military, preemptive force, Homeland Security and national security versus due process models, pandemics and wars of globalization. The book emphasizes practical issues handled by senior government officials, private sector executives, security practitioners and a variety of first responders.
- Includes learning objectives and key terms that outline chapter content and highlight important topics
- Presents reality check sections and critical thinking boxes that help the reader formulate alternative perspectives on issues and events
- Provides discussion questions at the end of each chapter that reinforce content and provide an opportunity for the reader to review, synthesize and debate the key issues
- New chapters on terrorist groups and the role of transnational crime in terrorist networks are included in this new edition
- Covers ISIL, the Charlie Hebdo attack and the Boston Marathon Bombing, among other recent examples of terrorism
- Updated for the dramatic changes in technology for detecting and countering terrorism