product description page
Turning the Tables on Challenging Behaviour : Working With Children, Young People and Adults With Severe
About this item
Fully updated, and with new sections on behaviourism, attachment disorders, neuro-scientific developments and working with dis-engaged learners, this second edition of Turning the Tables contains real-life case studies, strategies for identification and handy hints and tips throughout. It is the authoritative guide to tackling challenging behaviour and working effectively with children, young people and adults with severe learning difficulties (SLD), profound and multiple learning difficulties (PMLD) and those on the autistic spectrum with a dual ASD and learning difficulties diagnosis.
With a unique approach, the author stresses the need to diagnose not only the correct difficulty but the degree of learning difficulty for a lasting resolution, as well as tackling common behavioural problems such as attention needing and task avoidance.
Chapters are split into three specific areas, SLD, PMLD and ASD/SLD, covering:
- the 'Magnificent Seven' fundamental principles of challenging behaviour
- strategies for correct identification of the main area of learning difficulty
- improving teaching methods and strategies to resolve challenging behaviour, including handy hints and tips when things don’t go to plan
- extensive use of real case studies to illustrate strategies for resolution
- guidance on writing your own Behaviour Support Plan.
This is a practical and authoritative guide to dealing with the myriad of challenging behaviours that constantly puzzle practitioners. It is an essential read for all professionals, parents and carers working with children, young people and adults with SLD, SLD/ASD and PMLD.