product description page
Understanding Contemporary China - (Paperback)
about this item
China today bears little resemblance to the country introduced in the first edition of Understanding Contemporary China, published nearly two decades ago. Even in just the past five years, dramatic changes have occurred under the leadership of President Xi Jinping. This new edition of the book reflects those changes, exploring the impact of new domestic policies; China’s role as a behemoth in the world economy; its rapidly modernizing infrastructure; its expanding military presence in the region; the environmental challenges it confronts; and much more. The result is an accessible, well-grounded look at the most crucial issues affecting China today.Contents:
- Introduction—R.E. Gamer.
- China: A Geographic Preface—S.W. Toops.
- The Historical Context—R. Murphey.
- Chinese Politics—R.E. Gamer.
- China’s Economy—S. Tong and J. Wong.
- China Beyond the Heartland—L.T. White and R.E. Gamer.
- International Relations—R.E. Gamer.
- Population Growth and Urbanization—R. Ma.
- China’s Environmental Problems—R.L. Edmonds.
- Family, Kinship, Marriage, and Sexuality—W. Jankowiak and X. Zang.
- Women and Development—L. Bossen.
- Religion—H. Chan and A.Y.C. King.
- Literature and Popular Culture—C.A. Laughlin.
- Trends and Prospects—R.E. Gamer and L.T. White.
Number of Pages: 526.0
Genre: Political Science, Social Science
Publisher: Lynne Rienner Pub
Street Date: August 2, 2017
Item Number (DPCI): 248-43-9194