product description page
Understanding the CISG : A Compact Guide to the 1980 United Nations Convention on Contracts for the
About this item
- The 1980 United Nations Convention on Contracts for the International Sale of Goods (CISG) regulates the rights of buyers and sellers in international sales.
- The impressive list of 85 CISG Contracting States accounts for more than three-fourths of all world trade.
- The importance of the CISG in the international arena is underlined by thousands of reported decisions where the CISG has been held to apply, thus evidencing the conduct of countless international traders who – by default or by express choice – regularly subject their sales contracts to the CISG Convention.
The CISG treaty demands an international interpretation, and this fully updated Fifth Edition draws upon the full range of primary and secondary sources of CISG law, including CISG case law and scholarly opinion worldwide. Concrete examples are provided throughout. With this book as their guide, commercial lawyers and law students who need to understand international sales contracts and sales contract disputes will confidently navigate important topic areas such as:
• Determining when the CISG applies; • Freedom of contract under Article 6;
• Interpretation of the Convention and of CISG contracts;
• Sales contract formation, validity, defenses to enforcement;
• Obligations of the parties, including conforming delivery and payment of the price;
• Remedies for breach, including specific performance, damages & avoidance;
• Liability exemptions;
• Key reservations under Articles 92-96.