product description page
VMware Software-Defined Storage : A Design Guide to the Policy-Driven, Software-Defined Storage Era
about this item
VMware Software-Defined Storage Design, is an all-in-one-solution guide to the next-generation of vSphere storage architecture, and how VMware is addressing data center challenges through its software-defined storage offerings, Virtual SAN and Virtual Volumes. The aim of this book is to help readers understand all of the design factors associated with these new vSphere storage options, and provide a complete guide to how solution architects and operational teams can maximize quality storage design for this new generation of technologies.
This book will be of most value to storage architects, vSphere architects, IT consultants, technology gurus, storage enthusiasts or anyone else with a VCA, VCP, or equivalent knowledge, who wants to learn more about the storage design process and technologies involved. In addition, prospective VCP, VCAP, VCIX or VCDX candidates, who already have a range of vSphere expertise, but are searching for that extra knowledge, would also benefit from the in-depth knowledge transfer provided through this book.
This publication will help bring about a deep knowledge and understanding of these new storage solutions by:
- Providing a truly unique insight into Virtual SAN and Virtual Volumes technology and design. No other publication currently provides this level of insight or detail into the mechanics of these two new storage technologies, and the software-defined storage model.
- Facilitating a low-level knowledge transfer of these new technologies, and furnishing the reader with an understanding of the economies of storage, as well as the design factors associated with the architecture of this next-generation of VMware based storage solution.
- Delivering detailed guidance on the design and implementation of a Virtual SAN stretched architecture, and after examining all the design options associated with building a cross-site solution, and identifying the preferred option based on the design factors, provide an example solution to readers.
- Giving guidance over the deployment of Storage-as-a-Service (STaaS) through vRealize Automation and vRealize Orchestrator, and delivering a fully automated cloud platform to enterprise IT organizations and cloud service providers, for the provisioning of storage resources and operational management of the solution.
- Delivering a detailed knowledge transfer of legacy storage and storage protocol concepts in order to provide context to the new software-defined storage model, and demonstrate how VMware’s Virtual SAN and Virtual Volumes next-generation storage technology is meeting traditional enterprise storage challenge.