About this item
A pocket-sized photographic field guide to Arctic birds, mammals, and other wildlife
Wildlife of the Arctic is an accessible and richly illustrated pocket-sized photographic field guide to the birds, land and sea mammals, and plants and lichens of the northern polar region--including Alaska, Canada, Greenland, Iceland, Scandinavia, and Russia. Written and illustrated by naturalists with extensive Arctic experience, this handy book features detailed facing-page descriptions of each species, including information about identification, range, distribution, and breeding and wintering grounds. A substantial introduction explains the area covered, with information on the poles, geology, snow and ice, auroras, and the influence of global warming. This portable, user-friendly guide is the perfect companion for birders, ecotourists, and cruise-line passengers visiting the Arctic Circle and other areas of the far north.
- An accessible and richly illustrated pocket-sized photographic field guide to Artic wildlife
- Features more than 800 color photos illustrating more than 250 bird species, 60 land mammals, and 30 seals and whales
- Includes extensive facing-page species descriptions and identification information
- Provides an overview of the Arctic region, with information on the poles, geology, snow and ice, auroras, and the influence of global warming
- Explores each family of birds and mammals, and has sections covering fish, insects, plants, and lichens