product description page
Wordtamer : Activities to Inspire Creative Thinking and Writing (Hardcover) (Judy Waite)
About this item
Imagine a funfair in the classroom...
invite dragons to school…let pupils travel through time!
Written by award-winning children’s author Judy Waite, Wordtamer offers over fifty ideas for exciting, innovative writing activities and creative workshops. The book explores how authors actually work and what they achieve through their methods. It considers how teachers and children can incorporate these techniques into their own work, and so improve creative writing.
Wordtamer provides easy-to-follow instructions to:
- set up and run inspiring writing lessons and workshops
- cover basic elements such as character and setting
- identify craft skills that link writing with the school curriculum
- develop ideas into contemporary, science fiction, fantasy or time-travel scenarios using tried-and-tested templates that expand on core concepts
- engage reluctant writers by using visual and kinaesthetic approaches
- develop independent and group-work practice
- enrich creative practice and awareness
- explore different writing styles
- improve teaching styles and children’s writing through a range of innovative and interactive activities
- appreciate why, as well as how, these techniques are so effective.
Underpinned by theory and Judy’s own experience of working as an author in schools and running writing workshops for all ages, Wordtamer offers step-by-step, inspiring plans for creative writing lessons that will make a buzz in the classroom. Pupils won’t just create characters…they will become them.