product description page
World Music : A Global Journey (Paperback) (Terry E. Miller & Andrew Shahriari)
About this item
World Music: A Global Journey, Fourth Edition takes students around the world to experience the diversity of musical expression and cultural traditions. It is known for its breadth in surveying the world's major cultures in a systematic study of world music within a strong pedagogical framework.
As one prepares for any travel, each chapter starts with background preparation, reviewing the historical, cultural, and musical overview of the region. Visits to multiple "sites" within a region provide in-depth studies of varied musical traditions. Music analysis begins with an experiential "first impression" of the music, followed by an "aural analysis" of the sound and prominent musical elements. Finally, students are invited to consider the cultural connections that give the music its meaning and life.
Fourth Edition features:
- New sites!
- Plena from Puerto Rico
- Chuida from China
- Gagaku from Japan has returned from the Second Edition
- New "Inside Look" features spotlight distinguished ethnomusicologists such as Dr. Terence Liu, K.S. Resni, Dr. Sumarsam, Dr. Mick Moloney, Walter Mahovlich, Natalie MacMaster, and Gilbert Velez
- Addition of DANCE!, inseparable to musical expression in some cultures
- Interactive World Map helps students to orient the music to its commonly associated geographic region
- Updates as needed, resulting from various changes in culture, politics, and war
- New and revised test questions, new photos, and other revised resources
The dynamic companion website hosts interactive listening guides and an interactive map, plus many student and instructor resources. A set of three CDs is available, with over three hours of diverse music examples necessary to the study.