product description page
How to Cook Everything: The Basics : All You Need to Make Great Food--with 1,000 Photos (Reprint)
about this item
Mark Bittman's highly acclaimed, bestselling book How to Cook Everything is an indispensable guide for any modern cook. WithHow to Cook Everything The Basics he reveals how truly easy it is to learn fundamental techniques and recipes. From dicing vegetables and roasting meat, to cooking building-block meals that include salads, soups, poultry, meats, fish, sides, and desserts, Bittman explains what every home cook, particularly novices, should know.
1,000 beautiful and instructive photographs throughout the book reveal key preparation details that make every dish inviting and accessible. With clear and straightforward directions, Bittman's practical tips and variation ideas, and visual cues that accompany each of the 185 recipes, cooking with How to Cook Everything The Basics is like having Bittman in the kitchen with you.
- This is the essential teaching cookbook, with 1,000 photos illustrating every technique and recipe; the result is a comprehensive reference that’s both visually stunning and utterly practical.
- Special Basics features scattered throughout simplify broad subjects with sections like “Think of Vegetables in Groups,” “How to Cook Any Grain,” and “5 Rules for Buying and Storing Seafood.”
- 600 demonstration photos each build on a step from the recipe to teach a core lesson, like “Cracking an Egg,” “Using Pasta Water,” “Recognizing Doneness,” and “Crimping the Pie Shut.”
- Detailed notes appear in blue type near selected images. Here Mark highlights what to look for during a particular step and offers handy advice and other helpful asides.
- Tips and variations let cooks hone their skills and be creative.
In How to Cook Everything The Basics, Mark Bittman teaches fundamental cooking techniques and essential lessons through 185 building-block recipes and 1,000 beautiful, instructive photographs. With all the details you need to make delicious food from breakfast to dessert, this is an irresistible, invaluable guide for beginners, accomplished cooks, and everyone in between.
"Mark Bittman has removed the last obstacle to simply great home cooking by including a foolproof, visual, and photographic follow-along component to all the basics. The result is a virtual preface to his seminal How to Cook Everything series." -Mario Batali, Chef, Author, and Restaurateur
"Before you can cook well, you need to learn the basics. Mark Bittman's How to Cook Everything The Basics will make you a better cook." -Tom Colicchio, Chef and Owner of Craft Restaurants
"Had Mark published this book earlier, I would not have had to go to culinary school. This is a comprehensive guide to making delicious food." -David Chang, Chef/Owner of the Momofuku restaurants, coauthor of Momofuku, and creator of Lucky Peach