March 1, 2003
March 1, 2003
Asher Lev is a Ladover Hasid who keeps kosher, prays three times a day and believes in the Ribbono Shel Olom, the Master of the Universe. Asher Lev is an artist who is compulsively driven to render the world he sees and feels even when it leads him to blasphemy.In this stirring and often visionary novel, Chaim Potok traces Asher’s passage between these two identities, the one consecrated to God, the other subject only to the imagination.
Asher Lev grows up in a cloistered Hasidic community in postwar Brooklyn, a world suffused by ritual and revolving around a charismatic Rebbe. But in time his gift threatens to estrange him from that world and the parents he adores. As it follows his struggle, My Name Is Asher Lev becomes a luminous portrait of the artist, by turns heartbreaking and exultant, a modern classic.
Considered Potok's greatest book, this 1972 novel is about Asher Lev's attempts to function as an artist--a goal that is sometimes in conflict with his Orthodox Jewish background.
- Genre: Fiction + Literature Themes, Juvenile Fiction, Fiction + Literature Genres
- Subgenre: Literary, Arts + Entertainment, Religious / Jewish, Literary Genres + Types of Novels, General, Human Qualities + Behavior, Types of Characters, Religion + Beliefs, Family + Friendship, Conflicts + Dualities, Peoples + Cultures
- Edition: Reprint
- Language: English
- Author: Chaim Potok
- Online Item #: 11339319
- Store Item Number (DPCI): 248-00-7067
- ISBN: 9781400031047
- Item can be gift wrapped.
- Made in the USA or Imported