June 5, 2012
June 5, 2012
For his debut novel READY PLAYER ONE, Ernest Cline comes up with a delightful premise--one that allows for both futuristic speculation and 1980s nostalgic indulgence. It's a bleak 2044, and humans across the globe escape their horrible lives in a virtual world known as OASIS. Invented by a guy named James Halliday, OASIS is addictive for its utopic settings, but also for its promise of riches and power, for Halliday hid some hard-to-crack and virtually impossible-to-find puzzles within his alternative reality. The puzzles all rely on knowledge of antiquated pop-culture trivia, but if you can beat them, the winnings are well worth the effort. When Wade Watts somehow manages to locate one of these puzzles, he is thrown into a wild competition--one with stakes so high that some in the virtual world will commit real-world crimes to come out on top.
- Genre: Fiction + Literature Themes, Juvenile Fiction, Fiction + Literature Genres
- Subgenre: Conflicts + Dualities, General, Science Fiction + Fantasy
- Language: English
- Author: Ernest Cline
- Online Item #: 14025328
- Store Item Number (DPCI): 248-79-9185
- ISBN: 9780307887443
- Item can be gift wrapped.
- Made in the USA or Imported