classic bacon cheeseburger
what you need
- 6 slices bacon
- 2 pounds ground chuck (80% lean)
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 6 slices extra-sharp cheddar cheese
- 6 hamburger buns, split
- 6 leaves crisp lettuce
- 6 slices tomato
- Ketchup (optional)
- Mustard (optional)
- Weber grill
- In large sauté pan over medium heat, cook bacon until crisp, 10 to 12 minutes, turning occasionally. Transfer bacon onto paper towels to drain.
- Gently shape ground chuck into 6 burgers of equal size and thickness, each about 3/4 inches thick. Season both sides of burgers with salt and pepper. With your thumb or the back of a spoon, make a shallow indentation about 1 inch wide in center of each patty so centers are about 1/2 inch thick. This will help patties cook evenly and prevent them from puffing on Weber grill.
- Prepare grill for direct cooking over direct high heat (450° to 550°F).
- Brush cooking grates clean. Grill burgers over direct high heat, with lid closed as much as possible, until cooked to medium doneness, 8 to 10 minutes, turning once. During last minute of grilling time, top each burger with a slice of cheese to melt and toast buns over direct heat.
- Serve cheeseburgers hot on toasted buns with lettuce leaf and tomato, topped with a slice of bacon. Serve with ketchup and mustard, if desired.