Ore-Ida easy clam chowder
what you need
- 3 1/2 cups Ore-Ida Southern Style Hash Browns
- 1 cup Ore-Ida Chopped Onions
- 4 slices bacon, in pieces
- 1/4 cup red bell pepper, diced
- 1/4 cup green bell pepper, diced
- 2 canned clams chopped and reserve liquid
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cups milk
- 1/8 teaspoon white pepper grounded
- In a large saucepan over medium high heat, cook bacon for 3 to 4 minutes, or until lightly crisp.
- Remove from saucepan.
- In the same saucepan over medium high heat, cook hash browns, onions, red pepper and green pepper for 4 to 5 minutes, or until tender, stirring occasionally.
- Add reserved clam liquid, salt and bay leaf, and bring to a boil.
- Cover, reduce heat to medium and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Discard bay leaf and lightly mash the hash browns with a potato masher if desired.
- Stir in milk, clams, cooked bacon and white pepper, and cook for 3 to 5 minutes, or until heated through but not boiling.
- Garnish with chopped fresh parsley if desired.
If desired, substitute whole milk with lowfat milk.