maple-glazed roasted turkey
what you need
- 1 (14 to 15 pound) whole turkey
- 1 (8 ounce) package peeled pearl onions
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon poultry seasoning
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- Heat oven to 325°F.
- Place turkey on a rack in a large roasting pan.
- Tie legs together and tuck wings under body.
- Scatter neck and giblets around turkey, along with onions and 1 cup water.
- Brush turkey with 2 tablespoons melted butter.
- Sprinkle poultry seasoning, 2 teaspoons salt, and 1 teaspoon pepper inside the cavity and all over bird.
- Roast, basting with pan juices and adding 1/4 cup water to pan every hour, for 2 1/2 hours.
- In a small bowl, mix syrup, soy sauce and ginger; brush half over turkey. Continue roasting until a meat thermometer inserted into the thigh registers 175°F, about 15 minutes longer.
- Transfer turkey and onions to a serving platter and let stand 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, pour pan juices into a fat separator.
- Pour juices back into roasting pan; discard fat.
- Bring juices to a boil over high heat and stir in remaining maple mixture.
- Simmer, scraping up browned bits from pan, until thickened slightly, about 5 minutes.
- Serve the maple jus with turkey.