PEEPS minty hot chocolate on a stick
what you need
- 8 ounces semi-sweet, milk or dark chocolate, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar, sifted
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder, sifted
- Pinch of salt
- 8 Marshmallow Peeps Peppermint Stars
- 1/2 cup crushed candy canes, optional
- 8 sticks, straws or spoons
- Large zipper-style freezer bag
- Ice cube tray or mini muffin pan
- In a large bowl combine powdered sugar, cocoa powder and pinch of salt. Set aside.
- If desired, sprinkle crushed candy canes in bottom of muffin pan or ice cube tray.
- Prepare sticks, straws or spoons by sliding a PEEPS marshmallow peppermint star onto them, leaving about 1/2 to 1 inch of room at the bottom for chocolate. Set aside.
- Add chopped chocolate to a medium microwave safe bowl (make sure that bowl is completely dry first, water and chocolate melting do not mix).
- Microwave chocolate at 50% power for 30 seconds at a time, stirring well after each 30 seconds.
- Once chocolate is almost melted, remove from microwave and continue to stir well until chocolate melts completely.
- Add melted chocolate to your dry ingredients. Mix well. Mixture will be extremely thick and appear grainy.
- Once mixed, spoon mixture into freezer bag.
- Squeeze chocolate into eight compartments.
- Stick sticks, straws or spoons into chocolate (chocolate should be thick enough that these stand on their own).
- Place in fridge to allow chocolate to set. This can also be done on the countertop, but will take longer.
- Once completely dry, pop out of tray or pan. Wrap in plastic wrap or bags to store.
- To use, heat up 1 8-ounce cup of milk per person. Once heated, add hot cocoa stick and stir several minutes until dissolved.
For a great taste without the mint, use PEEPS snowmen in lieu of peppermint stars.