Rice Krispies treats on a stick
what you need
- 3 tablespoons butter or margerine
- 1 package (10 ounces, about 40 marshmallows) regular marshmallows or 4 cups miniature marshmallows
- food coloring (optional)
- 6 cups Kellogg's Rice Krispies cereal or 6 cups Kellogg's Cocoa Krispies cereal
- 12 wooden ice cream sticks (optional)
- flaked coconut (optional)
- multi-colored sprinkles (optional)
- semi-sweet chocolate morsels, melted (optional)
- In large saucepan melt butter over low heat. Add marshmallows and stir until completely melted. Remove from heat. Stir in food coloring, if desired.
- Add Kellogg's Rice Krispies cereal. Stir until well coated.
- Using 1/2 cup measuring cup coated with cooking spray divide warm cereal mixture into portions. Using buttered hands shape each portion into a ball. Let cool then insert wooden stick, if desired. Decorate with coconut, multi-colored sprinkles and/or melted chocolate, if desired. Let stand until firm. Best if served the same day.
- Microwave directions: In microwave-safe bowl heat butter and marshmallows on high for 3 minutes, stirring after 2 minutes. Stir until smooth. Follow steps 2 and 3 above. Microwave cooking times may vary.
For best results, use fresh marshmallows.
1 jar (7 ounces) marshmallow creme can be substituted for marshmallows.
Diet, reduced calorie or tub margarine is not recommended.
Store no more than two days at room temperature in airtight container. To freeze, place in single layer on wax paper in airtight container. Freeze for up to 6 weeks. Let stand at room temperature for 15 minutes before serving.
Kellogg's has reduced the sodium content of Rice Krispies to meet current consumer flavor- and nutrition-preferences. Rice Krispies Treats made with the lower sodium cereal taste great without any added salt, but, if you desire, add 1/4 teaspoon salt to the butter before melting. Continue with recipe as directed.