Toxic Parents - by Susan Forward (Paperback)
$12.59 when purchased online
About this item
About the BookNow in trade paperback, this bestseller reveals the complex legacy of inadequate, controlling, or abusive parents, and how adult children can get free of these destructive relationship patterns.
Book SynopsisAre you the child of toxic parents?
When you were a child... - Did your parents tell you you were bad or worthless?
- Did your parents use physical pain to discipline you?
- Did you have to take care of your parents because of their problems?
- Were you often frightened of your parents?
- Did your parents do anything to you that had to be kept secret? Now that you're an adult... - Do your parents still treat you as if you were a child?
- Do you have intense emotional or physical reactions after spending time with your parents?
- Do your parents control you with threats or guilt? Do they manipulate you with money?
- Do you feel that no matter what you do, it's never good enough for your parents? In this remarkable self-help guide, Dr. Susan Forward draws on case histories and the real-life voices of adult children of toxic parents to help you free yourself from the frustrating patterns of your relationship with your parents -- and discover a new world of self-confidence, inner strength, and emotional independence.
"A dynamic, powerful, hard-hitting book. It offers tremendous hope as well as understanding. It could truly be a lifesaver."
-- Abigail Van Buren, "Dear Abby" "I consider Susan Forward to be among the foremost therapists of our age."
-- John Bradshaw, author of Healing the Shame That Binds You and Homecoming Bantam Books by Susan Forward: Men Who Hate Women and the Women Who Love Them:
When Loving Hurts and You Don't Know Why Obsessive Love:
When It Hurts Too Much to Let Go Toxic Parents:
Overcoming Their Hurtful Legacy and Reclaiming Your Life
About the AuthorSusan Forward, Ph.D., is an internationally renowned therapist, lecturer, and author of the number one New York Times bestsellers Toxic Parents and Men Who Hate Women and the Women Who Love Them, as well as Betrayal of Innocence: Incest and Its Devastation, Money Demons, Emotional Blackmail, When Your Lover Is a Liar, and Toxic In-Laws. In addition to her private practice, for five years she hosted a daily ABC talk-radio program. She has also served widely as a group therapist, instructor, and consultant in many southern California medical and psychiatric facilities, and she formed the first private sexual abuse treatment center in California. She lives in Los Angeles and has two grown children. Dr. Forward maintains offices in Sherman Oaks, California. For further information, call (818) 986-1161. Craig Buck, a film and television writer and producer, has also written extensively on human behavior for many national magazines and newspapers. He is the co-author, with Susan Forward, of Toxic Parents, Betrayal of Innocence, and Money Demons. He lives in Los Angeles with his wife and daughter.
Dimensions (Overall): 8.2 Inches (H) x 5.2 Inches (W) x 1.0 Inches (D)
Weight: .6 Pounds
Suggested Age: 22 Years and Up
Number of Pages: 320
Genre: Family + Relationships
Theme: Parent & Adult Child
Author: Susan Forward
Street Date: January 2, 2002
Item Number (DPCI): 248-00-7103
Origin: Made in the USA or Imported
If the item details above aren’t accurate or complete, we want to know about it.
Estimated ship dimensions: 1 inches length x 5.2 inches width x 8.2 inches height
Estimated ship weight: 0.6 pounds
We regret that this item cannot be shipped to PO Boxes.
This item cannot be shipped to the following locations: United States Minor Outlying Islands, American Samoa (see also separate entry under AS), Puerto Rico (see also separate entry under PR), Northern Mariana Islands, Virgin Islands, U.S., APO/FPO, Guam (see also separate entry under GU)
This item can be returned to any Target store or Target.com.
This item must be returned within 90 days of the date it was purchased in store, shipped, delivered by a Shipt shopper, or made ready for pickup.
See the return policy for complete information.
More to consider
The Sandwich Generation - (Caught Between Growing Children and Aging Parents) by H Michael Zal (Paperback)
5.0 out of 5 stars with 1 reviews